Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Corpse Queen

The Coronation
Inês de Castro was crowned queen of Portugal about two years after her death.

During the 1300s the King was unhappy with his son, Dom Pedro, and Inês's affair, so he had Inês executed.

But when Dom Pedro was later crowned King of Portugal, he claimed he had wedded Inês before her death, and that she was the lawful queen.

According to legend he exhumed her body, put her on the throne, and forced the entire court to swear their allegiance by kissing her hand. Apparently people did. I think I would have just moved away from Portugal.

8 comments:

Alphabeta said...

Kissing an *exhumed* corpse?
Give me the shivers.

Vyper said...

So he put the dead corpse on the throne as the leader? Thats pretty messed up lol

Moobeat said...

I hope this historical event doesn't repeat itself x.x

Nina said...

I guess he loved her still?

Jonny said...

Hehe, at least he's using (Armour) protection. ;)

Paul Johannsen said...

Yuck.. he's crazy. I would've definitely left the country too lol

llllollllll said...

Holy shit. Thanks for sharing this.

Endless said...

creeeeeepy

Post a Comment